cottages4you has joined forces with some of the UK’s favourite gastro pubs and restaurants to create a collection of simple, yet scrumptious recipes to inspire holidaymakers enjoying a self-catering stay.
The UK’s largest self-catering holiday specialist, cottages4you, hopes the partnership with local eateries will inspire customers whether cooking at their home-from-home or visiting popular local haunts. Four gastronomic geniuses have created recipes using the same five ingredients as a base plus one locally sourced regional speciality and seasonings, showing how versatile just a few basics can be.
The well respected restaurants taking part in the initiative include The Bull & Swan in Burghley Lincolnshire, The Old School Bar and Kitchen in Mount Hawke, Cornwall, The Black Swan in Helmsley, Yorkshire and The Sosban restaurant in Llanelli, Wales. All four are famous for the mouth-watering meals served, and head chefs from each have created a ‘shoebox recipe’ to prove how easy it is to make several tasty dishes with just a few simple, easily sourced ingredients.
The delectable dishes have been designed to capture the flavour of the region in which the restaurant is located, creating:
- Roast Rump of Gower Salt Marsh Lamb with a parsley crust, potatoes and a tomato and pepper fondue
- Whitby Smoked Haddock with crushed new potatoes, confit peppers and tomato sauce
- Fillet of Lincoln Red Beef with potato rosti, tomato and fennel compote and roasted red pepper puree
- Cornish Grey Mullet Fillet on ciabatta with potatoes in a red pepper and tomato sauce
The five staple ingredients include potatoes, tinned tomatoes, onions, peppers and bread – all storable in something the size of a shoebox, making them easily transportable for holidaymakers or straightforward to buy from local shops.
Nick Rudge, Managing Director of cottages4you said: “Cooking on holiday with the family can be great fun and doesn’t need to cost a fortune – which these recipes prove! We’re thrilled to be working with local restaurants to bring our customers regional delicacies that can be made on a self-catering holiday.
“For a truly unique ‘local’ holiday experience we always encourage our customers to visit local eateries, as well as using local produce from surrounding businesses. Whether eating in or out, these can often be the aspects that truly enhance our experiences and turn a good holiday into a great one.”
We are going to be bringing the recipes to you in a Cottages 4 You mini series starting with today’s installment of …
Roast Rump of Gower Salt Marsh Lamb with a parsley crust, potatoes and a tomato and pepper fondue
By Sian Rees, Ian Wood, Head chefs of Sosban Restaurant
For the Lamb: For Parsley crust:
4 x 200g lamb rumps 100g picked and chopped curly parsley
50g Dijon mustard 100g white bread crumbs
Oil Salt and pepper
Tomato and pepper fondue: Potatoes:
100g tinned tomatoes 12 new potatoes turned and cooked
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
200g chopped onions
Salt and pepper
1. Blend the parsley and bread crumbs together until fully incorporated. Season to taste.
For the Tomato Fondue:
2. Sweat down diced onions in a little olive oil.
3. When the onions are cooked, add the peppers and sweat down.
4. Add the tomatoes.
5. Season to taste; reserve to one side.
6. Preheat your oven to 180C.
7. To cook the lamb, place in a hot pan with a little oil. Seal all over and put into the oven for
12-14 minutes. Once cooked remove the pan, reserve to one side.
8. To finish, spread a little Dijon mustard onto the lamb skin, cover this with the parsley crust
and return the lamb to the oven for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
9. Place the tomato fondue in the middle of the plate and arrange 3 potatoes around the edge.
10. Slice the lamb into 4 even pieces and place on top of the tomato fondue serve immediately.
Sosban Restaurant, North Dock, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, SA15 2LF