A game in which the player races against the pros of F1. Several modes are available depending on how much time available to play.
Career Mode – Have a career in F1 – Sounds fun – but in career mode all cars are open at the beginning. Challenging modes are hidden to the novice player with an evaluation test. The evaluation test is at the beginning. It is there to show the ropes and to help decide on difficulty (but the player can change the difficulty if they wish).
Challenges – Set challenges set within the latest season goings on. An example would be get to 1st from 3rd in 5 laps on a set track. Real life examples are in from the current season.
Time Trials/Time Attack – A set time or to set the time challenge. Good leader board integration, to get the player to challenge their friends to beat their score.
We got the opportunity to try out the Xbox 360 version of the Game. Here is our review:
- Scenario Mode – A good change up in pace. The player cannot always sit down for a 1 hour long session just to complete 1 Grand Prix in a career. Short sessions good for the scenarios.
- Rules and Regulations – All up to date to the racing on the television. Good to see.
- Better Car Driving – Allot more responsive to steering and to braking. The curbs are allot more forgiving rather than spinning the car around all the time.
- On the track A.I. – Allot more responsive and reactive to the player. Competitive is always better.
- Gears – An 8 Gear Car!!! (We are use to a traditional 5-6 gear)
- Slip-streaming – not really much difference from previous versions
- Overall A.I. – Whilst playing the game, the audio is sometimes out of sink to the game play. An example of this would be half way through second Qualifying session – It says congratulations from qualifying from the first session. In real life, a driver coming back from the first run in second qualifying would not get told this again.
- The Menus in Career – Twice we accidentally pressed a button and ended up in a race. The menu controls feel lacking.
A game for the simulation racer fans and the fans of F1 Racing. The time it take to play a race in career (set to true 25% race distance) means it suits a long session gamer but with the Scenarios/Time Attacks – short time game play is available. Overall – A good game let down with little glitches along the way.
7/10 – OK let down by little errors.