Okay, not the best pun granted, but today we are talking about Shiraz, Nerdburgs Winemaster’s Reserve Shiraz to be exact. A wine that is robust and packed full of decadent plums and prunes coupled with the hint of spices and even a touch of banana, a stunning wine that not only would be a great accompaniment for Mediterranean based dishes such as kebabs, but also with a good old English roast or even a barbecue.
Luckily, Nerdburg, who are an award winning South African wine maker, ave shared their top tips with us:
- Only ever chill white wine just before you plan on drinking it, extended storage in the fridge can affect the aroma and the taste.
- If you want a speedy way to chill white wine, then instead of 2 hours in the fridge, pop it in some iced water, within 30 minutes you have chilled wine.
- You should always allow a quality red wine to breathe. If for any reason you can’t, decant it into a glass jug so that it can mix with the oxygen. This process allows the air to release the flavours!
- When you pour a glass of wine, you should really only ever pour a third of a glass. This allows the flavours to develop as it it swilled around the glass!
- If you are having cheese with your wine, try to balance it out, so if for example you are having a strong cheese, pick a strong wine to go with it.
That is not all…currently Nerdburg are working closely with Jimmy Doherty from Channel 4, (farmer & chef) and Jimmy has kindly allowed us a sneaky look at his Red Wine Gravy!
Red Wine Gravy
- 6 onions, peeled and chopped
- 700ml Red wine
- 560ml hot water
- 2 beef stock cubes
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chopped onions and red wine in a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and cook uncovered until reduced by 2/3, around 20 minutes. Cooking it down in this way reduces the acidity ad intensifies the flavour.
- Ass the hot water to the reduced wine, add the stock cubes and stir well until thoroughly dissolved.
- Simmer, stirring for 3-4 minutes, until the gravy thickens.
- Season to taste.
There you have it, some top tips for the wine connoisseur and a fabulous recipe to boot. Nerdburg’s Winemaster’s Reserve Shiraz is £9.99 and is available to buy in Tesco and Morrison’s.