Every year over 2,200 young men between the ages of 15 and 44 are diagnosed with testicular cancer. Orchid are the leading male cancer charity in the UK and have just launched the ‘Father and Sons’ campaign with Alexander Ludwig, star of The Hunger Games and Vikings.
Alexander and Orchid hope to get fathers talking to their sons about testicular cancer. #TalkBalls wants to ensure that every male in the UK knows how to check for the signs and symptoms of this deadly disease an to do it from a young age!
In a recent survey that Orchid carried out, they found the following:
- 42% of parents do not regularly talk to their children about health issues or concerns
- 20% of parents never broach the issue with their children
- 30% of parents do not feel confident discussing how to check for signs and symptoms of testicular cancer
- 76% would sooner refer their child to a GP rather than raise a health-related concern with them directly
- Only 36% of 18-34 year olds are confident recognising the signs and symptoms of testicular cancer – a remarkable 20% lower than breast cancer