It is hard to believe that it has been a staggering 40 years since the original release of one of the most horrifying movies to ever be made, in part some would say because of it’s lose base on reality. In the 1950’s serial murderer Ed Gein exhumed, murdered and even wore victims of his horrific crimes and he later, in 1974 became the terrifying inspiration for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Although it has to be said the movie is only loosely based on real life events, it still chills to the bone to consider these things happening to real people.
Leatherface is the fictional chainsaw wielding murderer in a tale so infamous that it sends shivers down the spine. Along a deserted road, a group of friends breakdown and there is only one house within miles of where there broken vehicle now resides. In an effort to get help they approach the ominous looking abode to ask if they may use a phone. Horror ensues in a tale with gore, shock and plenty of horror that had audiences stunned and disturbed like no other before it.
Now 40 years later Tobe Hooper has supervised the restoration of the original movie, he said,
‘This 40th Anniversary restoration is absolutely the best the film has ever looked.’
Released in a two disc limited edition Steelbook Blu-Ray, complete with brand new artwork by Doaly, the movie has received 4k restoration and a 7.1 audio mix, it is also packed to the brim with new bonus features including:
- New audio commentary with Tobe Hooper
- New audio commentary with Cinematographer Daniel Pearl, Sound Recordist Ted Nicolaou and Editor J. Larry Carroll
- ‘Cutting Chain Saw’ with Editor J. Larry Carroll
- ‘Grandpa’s Tales’ with actor John Dugan
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds
- New Deleted scenes/outtakes
Other bonus features that are on this new edition include:
- Audio commentary with Tobe Hooper, Actor Gunnar Hansen, Cinematographer Daniel Pearl
- Audio commentary with actors Marilyn Burns, Allen Danziger and Paul A. Partain, with Production Designer Robert Burns
- ‘The Shocking Truth’ documentary plus outtakes.
- ‘Flesh Wounds’ – Seven stories of the saw
- ‘Off The Hook’ with Terry McMinn
- ‘The Business of Chain Saw’ with Production Manager Ron Bozman
- A Tour of The TCSM House with Gunnar Hansen
- Tobe Hooper interview
- Kim Henkel interview
- Deleted scenes and outtakes, trailers, TV and Radio spots.
Released 17th November 2014 from just £19.99 on Blu-Ray.