Earlier this week we met up with Kimberley Wilson from last year’s Great British Bake Off, and she explained that she has been working with Persil Dual Action capsules to create a selection of quirky jam flavours. Here’s Kimberley’s recipe for strawberry and black pepper jam. Of course ideally with jams you need to leave them for a few weeks so that the flavours can develop, so you won’t be eating this over the weekend. However, make it today and you’ll know that in a few weeks time you will be able to enjoy the taste of summer in a jar.
Strawberry and black pepper jam – makes 1 x 0.5l jar300g fresh strawberries, 300g granulated sugar, 1tbsp lemon juice, freshly ground black pepper
- Hull and roughly chop the strawberries and place in the pan with the sugar and lemon juice.
- Over a low heat stir gently until the sugar has dissolved, then turn up the heat and boil until the temperature reaches 106C.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before stirring in a few twists of black pepper.
- Taste – you should be able to taste the pepper in the background, and the flavours will mature with time.
- Ladle into the jar, seal and cool before storing in a cool dry place.
- Leave to sit for at least a week, ideally a month before opening.