Part of our Cottages4you mini series – if you missed part one click here!
Whitby Smoked Haddock Confit Peppers in Tomato Sauce
4 portions of Whitby smoked haddock 1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
Crushed Potato 1 onion
500g new potatoes (from local farm shop) 50ml extra virgin olive oil
1 finely chopped onion (from local farm shop) 1 sprig of thyme
50ml extra virgin olive oil 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 bunch chopped chives
For the haddock:
1. Place the smoked haddock in a pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and reduce to a
simmer, simmer for 6 minutes.
For the potatoes:
2. Peel potatoes, place in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil before reducing to
a simmer. Continue to simmer until a knife goes through the potatoes easily.
3. Pour into a strainer to remove all the water, allow to drain for 5 minutes and return to the
pan. Crush the potatoes with a fork.
4. Add the chopped onion and olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and place back stove on a low
heat to keep warm.
Confit peppers in tomato sauce:
5. Slice all the peppers and onion as finely as possible. Place a pan on the stove on a medium
heat and add the olive oil followed by the peppers, onions and thyme.
6. Slowly sweat down until all peppers and onion are cooked, add the tin of tomatoes and then
cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then set aside somewhere warm.
7. Place the warm crushed potato in the middle of the plate, top with the cooked smoked
haddock, pass the peppers out of the tomato sauce and spoon the sauce around the potato,
then place the peppers on top of the smoked haddock and serve
The Black Swan, Market Place, Helmsley, North Yorkshire, YO62 5BJ