When it comes to facial rejuvenation, most of us tend to focus on the lines and wrinkles that appear with age. However, that is only half the story.
The overall shape of the face tends to shift with time.
A youthful face is marked by a defined chin, which can go into the jawline and towards the ears in a general “V” shape
As gravity combines with the natural loss of volume in the face, the skin tissue tends to gradually sink. The youthful “V” fades and gradually more of a “U” appears.
It is at this point that many people start to consider a face lift, but that is drastic surgery involving several nights in hospital and months of recovery. A face lift involves removing excess skin, which if not done absolutely right can also lead to an artificial look or the famous ‘Hollywood wind tunnel’ effect, which in the UK many people find quite off-putting.
Face Lift Alternatives
Worry not, there are ways of lifting and redefining the shape of the face, making it appear more youthful without having to contemplate the surgeon’s scalpel.
Prevention – 5 Everyday Tips for Youthful Skin
The best possible advice is always to start by preventing the onset of early ageing. There are some really simple and basic lifestyle factors that directly influence how your skin ages. Get these right and the skin WILL appear more youthful.
- Sun protection – the sun’s UVA and UVB rays cause collagen and elastin to break down so that lines and wrinkles appear prematurely and the skin loses texture and tone. Use a quality SPF50+ sunscreen every day of the year, even in winter
- Exfoliate – a regular whisking away of the dead cells means that the skin is clearer. While microdermabrasion or chemical peels offer deep exfoliation, simple scrubs or brushing at home are very helpful too
- Lifestyle – nothing beats rest and a healthy lifestyle for youthful skin, as lack of sleep and long hours in front of a computer screen, smoking and alcohol cause oxidative stress to the skin and damage the skin permanently both inside and out. Look after yourself and it will show in your skin
- Diet – sugary, fatty diets are unlikely to lead to radiant skin. Choosing plenty of fresh fruit and veg means the skin is nourished from within. Superfoods such as berries and nuts are particularly helpful
- Hydration – make sure you drink enough – most people don’t, but dehydrated skin means that the cells aren’t able to function properly and can cause the skin to age more rapidly
Home Facial Massage and Exercise
Once the basics are in place, it’s time to think about stimulating the facial muscles and tissues. Again, there are effective DIY techniques that can be used at home.
Facial massage and face exercises stimulate the muscles. When we exercise the body, the muscles become more toned and it is the same with the face. Although facial muscles are a complex area, a little work can help to keep the features more ‘lifted’ and more resilient to ageing and gravity.
Try these exercises and massage tips:
- Jaw toner exercise – strengthen and firm a sagging jaw by opening and closing the mouth in an exaggerated motion while the lips are curled over your teeth – you’ll feel it working
- Neck/chin toning exercise – with a hand on the front of your neck, stretch your chin upwards while smiling hard. Turn the head side to side looking over each shoulder in turn
- Facial brushing – use a special facial brush with circular movements to stimulate circulation as well as brush away dead skin cells
- Massage – when moisturising or applying sun cream, use circular, sweeping movements. Just a small massage per day can improve skin texture and tone
- Smile more! – don’t worry about laughter lines, enjoy life and keep smiling. The act of smiling involves a series of complex muscles and lifts the face
Non-Invasive Professional Treatments
The ultimate professional treatment for lifting the face without surgery is new Silhouette Soft®, which has been nick-named the ‘one stitch facelift’ or thread lift. This option is perfect for those aged over 30 and looking to hold back the signs of ageing in a natural and flattering yet effective way. The procedure lasts around 18 months, involves no surgery and with no use of fillers is ideal for those concerned about making the face look plump.
Firstly, it lifts the facial structure, using internal sutures which are supported on specially designed cones. These are manipulated to create a lifting effect, redefining facial features such as cheekbones and jawline for a smoother and more youthful look.
As an added benefit, the process kick-starts the skin’s own renewal processes, generating collagen for firmer skin. This gently and gradually replenishes volume in the skin over a period of time and adds to the rejuvenation effect, meaning that results continue to get better and lines continue to fade.
Another option is ClinicBe’s exclusive neck and jawline programme. I developed this treatment to lift and smooth tired skin and tighten and redefine the jaw area. Treatment combines volume replacement injections, skin tightening treatment such as Dermaroller or chemical peel and mesotherapy injections to remove excess soft tissue (e.g. jowls and double chin).
There are other options too and choosing the right treatment needs to be done carefully. Everybody is different, both in physiology and in their desires and expectations.
Choose a practitioner who advocates integrated skin and healthcare and discuss which skin treatments best suit your skin requirements and budget.
ClinicBe offers a unique approach to integrated skin and healthcare. The clinic has a comprehensive range of skin treatments which work alongside bespoke nutrition and lifestyle advice to help clients get the best possible results. The quiet location is easily accessible for clients living and working in the West London area including Knightsbridge, Belgravia, Chelsea and Mayfair.
For further information or to arrange a confidential consultation, please contact us on 0207 125 0521 or email [email protected]