Finding things to do with the kids at half term can often prove difficult. Especially when it comes to doing activities at home!
This quick and simple gingerbread man recipe from Udi’s Gluten Free is perfect to entertain bored kids. Not only will it give them vital education in the kitchen, it’s also a great deal of fun, particularly when it comes to decoration!
What’s more, they’re totally gluten free meaning even more people can enjoy them!
Especially important now that gluten intolerances affect 1 in 10 households – making it a real issue for busy parents trying to plan snack and mealtimes.
- 275g Udi’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, extra for dusting
- 1 dessert spoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 orange, zested
- 25g stem ginger, finely chopped
- 75g butter
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 175g Silver Spoon Icing Sugar (Gluten-Free)
- 20ml Warm Water
- Gluten-free food gel, colours to suit
- Gluten-free decorations
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / Fan 170°C
- Grease and line 2 baking trays and place on one side.
- Sieve the gluten-free flour, ground ginger, xanthan gum and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl, then add the orange zest and stem ginger.
- Place a small pan over a low heat and add the butter, sugar and golden syrup. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then pour into the flour mix. Beat with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined and a firm dough has formed. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the work surface with a little flour and roll out the dough to 4mm thick. Use your cutters to make the gingerbread shapes and place on the baking trays leaving a little space between each one.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until firm and golden brown, then turn out on to a cooling tray. Once cool, decorate with coloured icing and decorations to suit.
For more information, please visit: www.udisglutenfree.co.uk