When it comes to romance, we got some good choices available to us on lots of Streaming platforms – but is it too much. So we aim to narrow it down so you can watch something on either Disney Plus, Netflix or Amazon Prime. 3 pieces all on the same day.
Disney Plus, A relative newbie to the platform of streaming. It doesn’t offer much in terms of a user interface but offers allot of hidden depth if you go exploring. (At time of writing – all selected films were available on the platform.)
- (500) Days of Summer (2009) – An Off beat comedy about a woman who doesn’t believe in true love and the young man who falls for her. Led by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel show the conversations we have and the actions we take to find that true love.
Perfect for – A conversation starter with a loved one or to watch alone.
- Shallow Hal (2001) – Another comedy about a shallow man who only focuses on looks. A good comedy about how attraction to someone is not all that it is cracked to be. Jack Black and Gwyneth Paltrow lead this intriguing take on romance. (Also on Prime)
Perfect for – A funny take on men, comedy lovers,
- William Shakespear’s Romeo + Juliet (1996) – The breakout role of Leonardo Di Caprio, he leads an intriguingly different take on Romeo and Juliet. Claire Danes plays Juliet to Di Caprio’s Romeo and viewer is taken on an interesting journey.
Perfect for – Musical lovers, Something different, if you are also star crossed lovers.
- 10 Things I hate about You (1999) – Another film with a breakout role, this time for Heath Ledger. A coming of age drama from the 90s with an intriguing problem, when your dad decides when you date – what do you do? (Also on Prime)
Perfect for – Nostalgic lookbacks, teens romance, Heath Slater fans,
- Slim pickings for good picks at 5. So we pick When A Man Loves a Woman (1994). A 90s film with Meg Ryan. It is about the complex nature of marriage and how they help each other through difficult times. Wife becomes dependant on alcohol and that threatens the marriage. It has a 70% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and is the best 5th option there.
Other Options include – Coyote Ugly, Moulin Rouge!, In Her Shoes, 27 Dresses and People Like Us.
Pick something you (and your significant other like), if you both like comedy Disney Plus has a lot of options. Just be warned most of the comedies are teen based or lean toward the man focused. We have tried to balance the list based on what we like and finding something for everyone.
Good luck to those having the night in. Hope these three pieces can help with a possible night in. Crack open that bubbly.